Welcome to the Lorne Surf Life Saving junior activities program. Lorne juniors (or Nippers) is the membership category for both boys and girls ages 6 to 13 (under 7 through to under 14). To participate in the U/7 age level the applicant MUST BE 6 years old by the 30th September in the year that they start.
The aim of our program is to develop surf awareness, surf skills and surf safety in an environment of fun, friendship and participation. Our intensive summer program runs from late December to just before the pier to pub swim weekend.
Throughout the duration of our program juniors will be placed in age levels with the breakdown of groups determined by the age of the child on the following dates;
- Under 7 Must be 6 by September 30
- Under 8 Must be 7 by September 30
- Under 9 Must be 8 by September 30
- Under 10 Must be 9 by September 30
- Under 11 Must be 10 by September 30
- Under 12 Must be 11 by September 30
- Under 13 Must be 12 by September 30
- Under 14 Must be 13 by September 30
Each age group has an Age Level Manager with one or two assistants. The manager is responsible for the education, training and organisation of the group. As their ages increase the nippers are gradually taught to assist others who may be in difficulty. This training leads to children obtaining their resuscitation certificate in the under 13’s, gaining their Surf Rescue Certificate at 13 and their Bronze Medallion at 15.
Nippers have a competition calendar each season culminating in the Victorian Championships which are hosted by Clubs across the state.
Each age level has required skills they learn and then demonstrate to the age level manager or examiner. The children will take part in a structured learning program of theory and practical skills at certain levels.
- Under 7 & 8 Surf Awareness 1
- Under 9 Surf Awareness 2
- Under 10 Surf Safety 1
- Under 11 Surf Awareness 2/Basic E.A.R
- Under 12 Sun Smart 1/Basic E.A.R.
- Under 13 Sun Smart 2/Basic C.P.R.
- Under 14 Surf Rescue Certificate
Competitons – Carnivals
Competition is offered in a number of different disciplines that not only assists members with maintaining their surf skills but also provides children with a regular physical activity that incorporates fun and teamwork. Events for nippers involve swimming, board paddling, and running. Children can also participate in team events that incorporate a number of these disciplines and may also begin to teach the basics on rescue techniques, such as the board rescue event.
The Lorne Surf Club is committed to entering our best team’s at all regional and state events. We use the Regional Championships and the Victorian Titles specifically to cater for our more competitive nippers. As with Regional Championships, individual events are open to all but you must qualify for most events at the Victorian Titles. The club use a selection process for all team selections based on;
- Age Level Selection
- Club Championship results
- Regional Championship results
- Participation at competition training
The final decision on team members rests with the individual Age Level Managers.
Competitions – Club Championships
Two sessions of our intensive nipper program are allocated to Club Championships. To be eligible for Age Level Champion the nipper must;
- Have participated in 50% or more of the intensive nipper program.
- Be a financial member of the Lorne Surf Life Saving Club (can also be a member of another Victorian Surf Club).
- Compete in the correct age level group (i.e. cannot go up or down an age level).
- Trophies will be allocated at our presentation B.B.Q. on our final day for the Age Level Champions of all year groups.
We encourage, (but not compulsory) all nippers to wear club bathers throughout the intensive program but make it compulsory for club apparel during regional and state carnivals. It is compulsory for all nippers to wear an age level cap during the intensive summer program. Not only does this promote a sense of belonging, bit it is also easier for Age Level Managers to observe the children.
Club uniforms/clothing are displayed within the Club House and are available prior to most sessions during the intensive program.
Created: 4/Sep/2009 - 04:46 PM Last updated: 5/Oct/2015 - 06:10 PM